Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
COVID-19 Guidance for Foster Parents
Dear Foster Caregiver,
Thank you for your daily sacrifice, which allows for the safety and well-being of our children, today and into their futures. The Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) is grateful for your dedication during times of challenge, like those we face currently with Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Within the most recent days, we have seen our state and federal government take record measures to mitigate the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The Department of Children and Family Services is committed to the safety of our children, families and our foster/kin caregivers. As a valued partner, we care about your family, health, and well-being and would like to provide you with the most up-to-date information about our response to COVID-19 and how that impacts your role as a foster/kin caregiver.
The Department of Children and Family Services is working closely to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and to address the evolving public health concerns. We are also coordinating efforts with our sister agencies whose operations overlap with ours to ensure consistency of protocols. We are following all guidance provided by the Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) relative to COVID-19.
The circumstances of COVID-19 are evolving and recommendations will change in the coming days and week. LDH has launched a website that includes extensive information that is updated daily ldh.la.gov/Coronavirus/.
As always, thank you for your dedicated and tireless work in taking care of the children in our state.
Rhenda Hodnett, Assistant Secretary
Department of Children and Family Services – Child Welfare Division
- COVID-19 2021 Updated Case Practices
- What to do if I think my Foster Child or Someone in my Household may have the COVID-19 Virus
- How do get Answers to Questions about my Foster Child, including Questions about Visitation or Childcare
- 24-hour Support for Foster Families
- What is Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and how does it spread?
- Who should be most cautious?
- How does COVID-19 impact children?
- What should Foster/Kin caregivers be doing to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19?
- What is the Department of Children and Family Services doing to mitigate the risk of spreading COVID-19?
- Are there resources to assist me in talking to my foster child(ren) about COVID-19?