Skip To Content  >   DCFS   >  Economic Stability High Contrast Version   |   Text Size: Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size
E-mail this to a friend Print this page Share

Economic Stability

The Economic Stability section of DCFS assists families with needed assistance programs, including Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP - formerly Food Stamps), Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP), and the Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP).

apply for assistance

  Step One:
  • CAFE LogoApply online now for one or more of the following:
    • Family Independence Temporary Assistance (FITAP)
    • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP - formerly Food Stamp Program)
    • Kinship Care Subsidy (KCSP)
    • Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)
Step Two:
(for downloaded applications only):
  • Mail the completed form to the Document Processing Center:
    • DCFS Economic Stability
      P.O. Box 260031
      Baton Rouge, LA 70826
  • Or fax the completed form to:
    • (225) 663-3164
Step Three:
  • Conduct an in-person or telephone interview for FITAP and KCSP.
  • Conduct a telephone interview for SNAP.
Step Four:
  • DCFS will determine your eligibility for all programs for which you apply.


You may also contact DCFS at 1-888-LAHELP-U (1-888-524-3578) for information on all programs and how to apply.
View the LAHELP-U keypad shortcuts

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps) - Provides monthly benefits that help low income households buy food needed for good health.

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)
- Provides assistance to parents to help pay for the child care they need to work or attend school or training.
Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP) - Provides cash assistance for eligible children who reside with qualified relatives other than parents.

Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP) - Provides temporary cash assistance to families in need.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) State Plan - Sets forth criteria for operation of FITAP.

What happens after I apply?
  • You will be assisgned a worker who will interview you if you are applying for FITAP, SNAP or KCSP and give you a list of verification items needed.
  • Your worker will determine your eligibility.
  • A letter will be delivered to you that will tell you if you are eligible or not. If eligible, this letter will tell you the amount of your benefits, which will be paid back to the date of your application.
  • If  you applied and are eligible for CCAP, you will recieve a certificate for each child who needs care. Your child care provider must complete the certificate and you must return it by the due date.
  • If you applied for FITAP, you may be required to participate in the Strategies to Empower People (STEP) program, which provides opportunities for work-eligible FITAP families to recieve job training, employment and supportive services.
  How are Benefits Distributed?
Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) - the electronic method of delivering Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP) and SNAP benefits to recipients.


Three ways to Report Fraud